Homemade Laundry Detergent (powder)
- 3 cups washing soda (similar to baking soda; look for it near laundry products at the supermarket)
- 3 cups borax
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1 bar of quality, handcrafted soap from pure vegetable oils (no surfactants or petroleum products). Pthalate-free, with or without essential oils for scent. You can use Route One Pumpkins soap for this and we will offer this at markets from our scraps and oddsized bars. I don't recommend pure olive oil soaps (too greasy) or clear glycerine soaps (most are so-called melt and pours and have synthetic surfactants and sugar alcohols added)
- Pure, organic essential oils (optional)
- Grate the bar of soap into a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the washing soda, borax and baking soda. Mix well to get rid of clumps. Add the essential oils, if desired. Mix them into the powder well to avoid clumping.
- Add the grated soap and mix ingredients together.
- Store detergent in a half-gallon mason jar or other well-sealed container. Use 2 to 4 heaping tablespoons per load of laundry.