I hear a lot of CSA baskets have pumpkins now, so here you go! (Perfect for sugar pies as they are quite firm)
1/2 medium pumpkin, sugar or baking variety
1 cup corn starch
Canola oil, to fill pot 3 inches
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Spicy Aioli *
1/2 cups mayonnaise
1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder, to taste
- Peel pumpkin and remove seeds and stringy flesh. Cut remainder into thick sticks.
- Toss pumpkin in corn starch; discard remaining starch that doesn't stick.
- Fill a large, heavy-bottomed pot with 3 inches of oil; heat over medium-high heat. To test the oil for readiness, put one fry in the oil. When it browns quickly, and the oil bubbles vigorously, about when the oil reaches 350 degrees, it is ready. Fry pumpkin until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from oil with a slotted spoon; place on paper towels to absorb remaining grease. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- For the aioli,* mix all of the ingredients together until well mixed.